People working from home often get a bad reputation for “doing nothing all day.” But, the reality is, those who work from home tend to work more hours than their traditionally employed counterparts – not less. The key is to manage your life so you can be more productive and efficient, too.
However, to succeed as your own boss, you have to put in a lot of time and effort. You must be determined and push yourself when nobody else is going to. But this can’t come at the cost of losing your home life, and that is an easy thing to do. So read on to learn the top 10 tips to balance your life when you work from home.
To find a good life balance when working at home, using the following 10 tips.
- Set a schedule and stick to it. This can vary by the day or even be a certain number of hours versus exact times. Whatever your schedule is, however, it is important you do not work well past it each day.
- Learn how to say “no.” When clients ask for more work than you can handle without losing sleep or family time, it’s time to decline. If they don’t understand then a better, more understanding client is waiting in the winds, so don’t be discouraged. Most clients understand the need to balance your time when you work from home.
- Take at least one day off each week. As the saying goes, “Work to live, don’t live to work.” This may take a little planning, but it will be well worth the effort.
- Be proactive in getting paid what you deserve. Base it on your experience, skills, and projects. Do not accept low-ball offers, as they are only a waste of your valuable time.
- Don’t forget to eat, and drink plenty of water. When you don’t have someone else telling you it’s lunchtime, it can be easy to forget. Make sure to manage your time each day to allow for breaks and regular meals.
- Put your shoes on. Psychologists state that when people are wearing shoes, they are more productive because the mind associates them with activity. The more productive you are, the less you will have to manage your life to keep working at home.
If you use these 10 tips to manage your life, you can help yourself achieve a healthy, productive balance when working from home. Try one, a few or all of them, and you may be pleasantly surprised.